The most controversial movie ever made has finally arrived on DVD! Banned and heavily censored throughout the world, here is a film that surpasses its reputation as a shotgun blast to the senses. CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST presents the “found footage” of four documentary filmmakers who experience brutal death at the hands of a savage South American tribe of flesh-eaters. This footage is so intense, so graphic and so unflinching in its realism that the director and producer of CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST were arrested upon its original release and the film seized.(42**)
Ruggero Deodato’s notorious 1979 film begins with the expedition of NYU anthropology professor Harold Monroe (Robert Kerman — EATEN ALIVE, CANNIBAL FEROX, SPIDER-MAN). Professor Monroe’s search for the missing documentary film crew leads him into the dangerous ?Green Inferno,? an untamed Amazon jungle populated by rival primitive tribes and wild animals. In the tribal village of the Yanomamos, he finds the devoured, skeletal remains of the American filmmakers along with the footage shot by the ill-fated crew.
When Professor Monroe screens the documentary footage for a cynical group of New York television network executives, a gruesome and disturbing story unfolds. Led by Alan Yates (Gabriel Yorke), the American film crew ruthlessly exploits “barbaric” tribal customs for the sake of sensationalism. With their cameras rolling, Yates and his crew then proceed to torture, rape, kill and burn their way through the jungle. The bloody tide turns as the natives rise up to take violent revenge on their tormentors.
Widely acknowledged as the uncredited inspiration for THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT, CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST has been both praised and vilified for its portrait of savagery. Deodato’s nihilistic masterwork critiques the implications of Mondo-style filmmaking, even as it explores the most disturbing extremes of cruelty and exploitation. Not for the weak of stomach, the film’s horrifying power cannot be denied. (42**)
Cannibal Holocaust 3 disc special edition
2 Blu-Ray Special Edition All Region
Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
– New in-depth interviews with Ruggero Deodato, Francesca Ciardi,
assistant director/co-star Salvo Basile (shot in Columbia!) and cameraman Roberto Forges Davazati, as well as classic interviews with Robert Kerman, Carl Yorke and Oscar-nominated composer Riz Ortolani
– Extensive still galleries and theatrical trailers
– BONUS CD- original soundtrack album by Riz Ortolani newly remastered in stunning 24bit/96khz sound from the original studio master tapes
– Glossy 24-page booklet containing liner notes by director Eli Roth, legendary horror journalist Chas. Balun, Euro-music expert Gergely Hubai and Italian exploitation film authority Martin Biene
– Shocking reversible cover with original art by notorious illustrator Rick Melton
– Beautiful embossed slip cover
– 9 Easter eggs! – including the Grindhouse Releasing theatrical re-release premiere (with Exhumed Films!!) and Necrophagia music video directed by Jim VanBebber
– AND OTHER SURPRISES!